About Nutrition Services
A Registered Dietitian can help you with your nutrition related health goals, from prevention or management of chronic health conditions, to building a better relationship with food, to navigating nutrition information.
Common Concerns we can help you with:
|Diabetes||Irritable Bowel Syndrome|
|Eating Disorders / Disordered Eating||Polycystic Ovary Syndrome|
|Food Allergy / Intolerance||Sports Nutrition|
|General Healthy Eating||Vegetarian Eating|
|High Blood Pressure||Weight Management|
Nutrition services at SHW and through our referral partners are grounded in a weight-neutral, health-forward approach.
Nutrition counseling with a Registered Dietitian is available on-grounds at Student Health and Wellness, on-line through Nourish telehealth nutrition services, and in the community. You can select the option that is right for you with no referral needed.
Services offered include nutritional assessment, follow-up counseling, and/or referral support.
- On-grounds nutrition appointments at Student Health and Wellness
- Student Health and Wellness Dietitians offer in-person care.
- Students who pay the comprehensive student fee with tuition are eligible for nutrition services and there is no charge.
How to Schedule:
Schedule online through the HealthyHoos patient portal. Appointment scheduling is also available by calling the Office of Health Promotion at (434) 924-1509 during business hours. If you reach our voicemail, please leave your name, number, and best times to reach you during business hours; you will receive a call back to schedule.
- Initial appointments last one hour. Select this option if this is your first appointment with one of our RDs. Review our Nutrition Approach page to learn about what to expect during your time with us.
- Follow-up appointments last 30 minutes. Select this option if you have already completed an initial nutrition appointment. Be sure to schedule with the RD you previously met with.
- Telehealth nutrition appointments with Nourish
Nourish is a network of Registered Dietitians who provide nutritional counseling via telehealth. Costs are kept low by using your health insurance.
- All Nourish RDs are in-network providers with many major insurance companies, including the Aetna Student Health plan.
With service providers available nationwide, you can get convenient care wherever you are in the USA, even during semester breaks when you are away from UVA. on Nourish, you can select your dietitian to find the right match for you and filter by specialty.
How to Schedule:
Use the “get started” tab on the Nourish website to check your insurance coverage and find a dietitian. Follow the on-screen prompts to submit your information.
- On the “How did you hear about Nourish”, select “University”.
- If you were referred by a Student Health and Wellness provider, enter “University of Virginia” and the name of your provider.
- You will receive an email confirmation once your appointment is set up.
- Nutrition services in the Charlottesville Community
A team of Registered Dietitians at the UVA Health Nutrition Counseling Center offers both on-site and telehealth options for those in the state of Virginia.
- All insurances accepted, Including Medicaid.
- Prior to your visit, contact your insurance to confirm your specific plan’s coverage. You can do this by calling the 1-800 number on the back of your personal health insurance card to talk to a customer service representative and asking about details such as deductible, co-pay, or referral requirements
- Financial Assistance is available for those who qualify.
How to Schedule:Call (434) 243-4749 to schedule, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Free shuttle service is available.