Both On-Site and Remote Care Nutrition Services are Now Available
Nutrition services with a registered dietitian (RD) may include nutrition assessment and counseling, consultation, and/or referral. While on-site appointments are most effective for accurate dietary assessment, virtual appointments are available for students outside of Charlottesville or who are not yet comfortable with in-person appointments due to social distancing measures.
- On-Site Care: Student Health and Wellness is practicing the following risk mitigation strategies related to COVID-19:
- All visitors to Student Health and Wellness are screened prior to entering the building. Services are by appointment only, and we ask that you arrive 5 minutes before your appointment for screening.
- All staff, patients, and visitors must wear a mask while in the building. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you.
- On-site nutrition appointments are being conducted in a dedicated room (only students being seen for nutrition counseling will use this space; no medical visits). Appointments are spaced to enable time for the room to be sanitized between visitors.
- Remote Care: Available by telehealth technology or phone.
- Due to regulations governing healthcare providers’ ability to practice across state lines, when practicing remote care, the RD may be limited to offering consultation and referral.
- Telehealth appointments are being conducted via HIPPA-compliant Zoom. While this platform is designed to protect your privacy, no videoconferencing program is 100% foolproof. Phone appointments can be conducted if Zoom is not accessible.
- Scheduling: Nutrition appointments can be scheduled by calling the Office of Health Promotion and leaving a voicemail at 434-924-1509. Be sure to leave your name, number, and best times to reach you during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm); you will receive a call back to schedule. Please ensure that your phone is set to allow for unknown calls. Online scheduling is now available for telehealth nutrition follow-ups ONLY (you must have previously completed a nutrition intake appointment to be eligible for telehealth nutrition follow-up.)
UVA students who are currently enrolled in summer classes can receive services at Student Health at no additional charge. Please note there is a $10/visit fee in summer for eligible students who are not enrolled in summer session.
Nutrition services in the Office of Health Promotion are grounded in a weight-neutral, health-forward approach. Our nutrition philosophy is centered on enjoyment, connection, social justice, and food as medicine. The dietitian can help you address many common concerns, including but not limited to: