blue static

Student Charges

Cost of Care

Student Health and Wellness (SHW) professional services are included with tuition as mandatory fees. This means there is no charge for the evaluation and management services provided by the clinician during your visit (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner, mental health clinician, or health educator.)  However:

  • there are charges for medications, lab tests, supplies for certain treatments, immunizations and injections, and copies of your medical record. In addition, there are charges associated with referrals that occur outside of SHW.

For a comprehensive list of charges, and a detailed breakdown of the billing process view the website below.

Pricing at SHW


No-Show Policy:  If you need to cancel an appointment, please follow the policy below to avoid having a $40 "No Show" charge added to your SIS account. 

  • All appointments must be cancelled by 8am on the day of the appointment.
  • All students must be checked in for appointments no later than 10 minutes after their scheduled appointment time
  • Please note: This policy does NOT apply to the Student Disability Access Center (SDAC) and Care and Support Services (CASS) which do not incur a no-show charge.

Summer Visit Charge: SHW remains open during the summer for returning students. If you are not enrolled in classes over the summer, from May 28th until July 31st you will pay $25 per visit per clinic for clinical services received over the summer, if you are enrolled in a summer session, there is no additional visit charge for clinical services.  Please note: SDAC and CASS services do not incur a charge and Functional Exercise visits are $30 year-round.

Hoos' Guide to Billing

Submitting Charges to Insurance

Your walkout statement is a receipt for services provided by SHW. It contains the information you need to obtain reimbursement from your insurance plan, specifically physician name, diagnosis code(s), date of service, type(s) of service, and payment. You may also obtain a copy of your statement through the HealthyHoos Patient Portal.

If you do not have the UVA Student Health Plan and would like to obtain reimbursement for SHW charges from your insurance plan:

  • Call the customer service number on your insurance card and request a claim form.
  • Complete the claim form and attach it to your SHW walkout statement.
  • Send the claim form and walkout statement to your insurance company for reimbursement consideration (Coverage varies depending on plan benefits; SHW has no say or control over reimbursements).
  • Make a copy for your records.