In order to receive a copy of your medical records, you must complete a Student Health Consent for the Release of Medical Information Form. The Department of Student Health does NOT accept requests for medical records through the Internet. All requests must comply with the following:
- We will provide a copy of the information you provided on your Pre-Entrance Immunization Health Form at no cost.
- If you want copies of your medical records, there will be charge per page billed to you upon receipt of a consent form. Fees are waived when copies are requested for other health care providers for continuity of care. If total cost is more than $50, you will be notified by email (that you provide) of the cost and be given two days to respond. If no response, the consent form will not be honored and records will not be released.
- If you need Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to provide information in summary form about a specific medical problem to a physician at another location, we will do so at no cost.
- You have the right to view the contents of your medical record; however, you must be enrolled as a full-time student and you must do so in the presence of a Student Health physician by making an appointment with the medical professional who has been treating you.
- Student Health will respond to all routine requests for medical information within 15 working days after receiving a completed "Consent for the Release of Medical Information Form." If, in Student Health's judgment, a request for the release relates to a medical emergency or urgent situation, we will respond as soon as possible.
- Once you become 18 years old, as a student of the University of Virginia you have the right to privacy and confidentiality regarding your medical care. Click here for more information on confidentiality.
- Occasionally Student Health receives a signed statement from a student stating that they wish their medical information to be released to their parents. Student Health requires students to use a standard consent form that complies with state and federal laws for release of medical information. If you complete the Student Health Consent form and return it to us, we will be happy to respond to requests from you or your parents to provide them the applicable medical information contained in Student Health records at the time the request is made.
- Student Health saves medical records for 10 years after the date of your last visit to Student Health.
- If you have never been seen by a Student Health provider while enrolled in UVA, your immunization records are kept for two years after your departure from this university.