Current Clinical Trials and Studies
- Head Injuries in the College Population. IRB-HSR #2069. PI: Jessica Simmons MD
- Physiological and Psychological Changes Following Sport Concussion. IRB-HSR #17960 (in collaboration with Samuel R. Walton Curry School of Education) PI: Jacob Resch Ph.D
- Student Health Research Database IRB-HSR# 17141. PI: Christopher Holstege MD
- College Health Surveillance Network IRB-HSR# 18454. PI: Christopher Holstege MD
Pending Clinical Trials
- Magnesium and Ribloflavin Treatment for Post-Concussion Headache. IRB-HSR #12780. PI: Stephanie Hartman MD
Past Clinical Trials
- Clinical Performance of the Diassess Influenza A and B Test. IRB-HSR #19476 (in collaboration with the Emergency Medicine Research Office). PI: Mark Sochar MD
- A Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Ranging Study of Quadrivalent HPV Virus-like Particle (VLP) Vaccine in 16-23 year old Women. Sponsor: Merck & Co., Inc. 2001-2004. IRB-HSR # 8945. FDA approved for administration as Gardasil Vaccine. PI: Christine Peterson MD
- Project 1: Alcohol intoxication among students presenting to the University hospital emergency department (ED)
- Project 2: Developing a risk screening algorithm for alcohol and other substance abuse among UVA students – a data linkage study
- Project : Determinants, patterns, and costs of service utilization at the UVA Student Health Center
- Project 4: MHealth intervention to prevent alcohol and substance abuse for high risk students attending the University Student Health Center clinic
- Nobles AL, Curtis BA, Ngo DA, Vardell E, Holstege CP. Health insurance literacy: A mixed methods study of college students. J Am Coll Health. 2018 Jul 6:1-37.
- Ngo DA, Ait-Daoud N, Rege SV, Holstege C. (2018). Validity of diagnostic coding of alcohol intoxication associated with student university hospital emergency department visits. Addiction Medicine. J Addict Med. 2018 Jun 28.
- Ngo DA, Rege SV, Ait-Daoud N, Holstege CP. Trends in incidence and risk markers of student emergency department visits with alcohol intoxication in a U.S. public university-A longitudinal data linkage study. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 Jul 1;188:341-347
- Ngo DA, Ait-Daoud N, Rege SV, Ding C, Gallion L, Davis S. et al. (2018). Differentials and trends in emergency department visits due to alcohol intoxication and co-occurring conditions among students in a U.S. public university. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 183: 89-95.
- Vakkalanka JP, King JD, Holstege CP. Abuse, misuse, and suicidal substance use by children on school property. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2015;53(9):901-7.
Regional/National/International Meeting Presentations
- Ngo DA, Rege S, Ait-Daoud N, Holstege CP. Trends and Risk Markers of Emergency Department Visits with Alcohol Intoxication Among Students in a Public University—a Longitudinal Data Linkage Study. Journal of Medical Toxicology 2018;14:17. Presented at the ACMT Annual Scientific Meeting - Washington, DC. April, 2018.
- Ngo DA, Rege S, Ait-Daoud N, Holstege CP. Drinking Among High-Risk Students Receiving the Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention in a Public University in the USA. Journal of Medical Toxicology 2018;14:17. Presented at the ACMT Annual Scientific Meeting - Washington, DC. April, 2018.
- Holstege CP, Ngo DA, Rege S, Ait-Daoud N.. Trends and risk markers of emergency department visits with alcohol intoxication among students in a public university – A longitudinal data linkage study. European Psychiatry (supplement) 2018;49. 26th European Congress of Psychiatry (European Psychiatric Association - EPA). Nice, France. March 2018.
- Holstege CP, Ngo DA, Rege S, Ait-Daoud N. Drinking among high risk students receiving the brief alcohol screening and intervention in a U.S. public university. European Psychiatry (supplement) 2018;49. 26th European Congress of Psychiatry (European Psychiatric Association - EPA). Nice, France. March 2018.
- Ngo DA, Holstege CP, Rege S. Ding C, Miley L, Rege S. Validity of code-based recording of alcohol intoxication among college students presenting to a university hospital emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2017;70(4):S69-70. American College of Emergency Physicians Research Forum. Washington, DC. October, 2017
- Ngo DA, Holstege CP, Ait-daoud N, Ding C, Miley L. Trends in alcohol intoxication among students presenting to a university hospital emergency department using code-based records. North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology. Clin Tox 2017;55(7):791. Vancouver, Canada. October, 2017.
- Nobles AL*, Ngo DA, Curtis B, Holstege CP. Health Insurance Literacy Among College Students. American College Health Association Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX. 2017.
- Ngo DA*, Tolley W, Holstege CP. Trends In and Risk Markers of Sexually Transmitted Infections in University Students in the United States – Findings from the College Health Surveillance Network. American College Health Association Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX. 2017.
- Torbey S*, Robinson DM, Vakkalanka P, Holstege CP, Thomson JA. A Silent Epidemic: Suicidality in the College Student Population. American Academy of Children and Adolescent Psychiatry 63rd Annual Meeting. New York City, New York, 2016.
- Blevins D*, Vakkalanka P, Robinson D, Khanna, SK, Ait-Daoud Tiouririne N, Holstege CP. Impact of Substance Abuse Discharge Recommendation Compliance on ED Readmission Rate in a College Population. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting. Atlanta, Georgia, 2016.
- Torbey S*, Robinson DM, Vakkalanka P, Holstege CP, Thomson JA. Suicide crisis on campus: Suicide attempts and ideation in the collegiate population evaluated in the emergency department. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting. Atlanta, Georgia, 2016.
- Vakkalanka P. Rusek N, Holstege CP. Student Health Center Response to a Crisis on Campus. American College Health Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. 2016.
- Vakkalanka JP, Ait-Daoud Tiouririne N, Blevins D, Robinson D, Khanna S, Holstege CP*. The Epidemiology of Alcohol and Substance-Related Emergency Department Admissions within a University Population. Clinical Toxicology (publication pending). NACCT. San Francisco, CA. 2015.
- Vakkalanka JP, King J*, Holstege CP. Intentional exposures on school property reported to US Poison Centers. Clinical Toxicology 2015;53(4):242. EAPCCT. St. Julian's, Malta. 2015.
- Blevins D, Khanna S, Vakkalanka P, Holstege CP, Ait-Daoud, N. Prevalence and Impact of Substance and Alcohol Misuse on College Students Presenting to the Emergency Department and Evaluation of Practical Referrals. 168th American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting. Toronto, Canada. 2015.