The Teaching Kitchen at Student Health and Wellness is home to the Hoo’s Cooking nutrition education and culinary skills classes.
Our mission is to help students:
- build skills and knowledge in food preparation, budgeting, and nutrition
- support health
- honor culture
- promote sustainability and equity
- build community
- foster joy and confidence in cooking
Hoo’s Cooking hands-on cooking classes are led by students, dietetic interns, registered dietitians, professional chefs and/or special guests. If you have questions, please email our team!
- Individual Sign-Up Classes
Individual sign-up classes are open to all UVA students.
- Each class features step by step guidance in preparing a delicious, cost-effective, nutritious, easy-to-make meal and finishes with eating together.
- This is the class for you if you would like to cook with new people, learn a new recipe, and/or work on your general cooking skills and food knowledge.
Classes are held on Thursday evenings from 5 - 6:30 p.m. and feature a new menu every week.
- Check out the Class Calendar to see what we’re cooking, when. Click on a class within the calendar to access the sign-up link and to view menu descriptions, which include information about dietary features and allergens.
- New classes are posted and available for sign-up at the beginning of each month.
Pre-registration is required for all of our classes.
- A $6 registration fee is requested to cover the cost of food and supplies. This fee is non-refundable and can be paid during the registration process. If finances are a concern, our Food Security Fund allows ALL to participate, regardless of ability to pay.
- Classes are capped at 15 participants. You will receive either a confirmation or waitlist notice once you complete registration.
- Check out our Teaching Kitchen FAQs for more information.
- Group Cooking Class
Group cooking classes can be arranged for any group of students to cook together!
- Eligible Student Groups include clubs/CIOs, teams, sororities/fraternities, Residence Hall floors, etc. You can also request a class for a group of friends
- UVA-Sponsored Groups, including academic schools, UVA departments, class councils, etc., can sponsor a cooking class to support their students’ well-being and promote connection and belonging.
Group classes are scheduled by request. Available time-slots include:
- Mondays, 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
- Occasionally other days/times by special arrangement.
- Requests must be received at least 2 weeks in advance of when you would like to host a class.
- Classes require a minimum of 5 participants and have a max capacity of 15. We will send you a registration link to share with your students once your class is scheduled.
- Cooking classes are taught by Teaching Kitchen student staff, dietetic interns, registered dietitians, professional chefs, and/or special guests.
- Everything is provided in the Teaching Kitchen, and all experience levels are welcome.
- Choose from our curated selection of standard menu options, featuring a variety of cuisines, lifestyles, and culinary skills.
- Need a custom menu for your group or seeking curriculum development support? Email our team to discuss planning and pricing.
Cost (for standard menu options):
- Student Groups: $6 per participant*. Payment is made through online link in registration form; individual participants can use credit/debit cards. Fees are non-refundable.
- UVA-Sponsored Groups: $200 per class. Payment can be made via PTAO. Once your class date is confirmed, you will receive an email with a link for a payment form.
- Get Involved
The Teaching Kitchen is a great place to work!
Teaching Kitchen Assistants help keep cooking classes running smoothly, from prep to clean up.
- The position requires a time commitment of 3-9 hours per week for fall and/or spring semester(s).
- One to 3 weekday evening shifts are required weekly and occasional daytime shifts are available. Shifts last 3 hours and include a FREE meal.
- TO APPLY: Check back at the end of the semester for positions next semester.
Teaching Kitchen Facilitators lead cooking classes, demonstrating culinary skills and guiding participants in cooking a meal.
- The position requires a commitment of teaching at least 2 cooking classes per month during the fall and/or spring semester(s).
- Classes are scheduled on weekday evenings weekly and occasionally weekday daytimes.
- TO APPLY: Check back at the end of semester for positions for next semester.
Participating in at least 1 Hoo’s Cooking class is a pre-requisite for Teaching Kitchen employment. A cooking class specifically for TK applicants who have not already participated in Hoo’s Cooking programming will be available early in the fall and/or spring semesters. Eligible applicants will receive an email with a link to sign up for the class.
Complete a practicum or internship as a Teaching Kitchen Assistant:
- Independent Study/Practicum/Internship experiences last 1 semester with option to repeat.
- 6-10 hours per week required, eligibility is determined by your academic department.
- Questions? Contact Melanie Brede, Teaching Kitchen Director.
- Skills and Safety
Check out these kitchen and food preparation skills and safety videos, part of our Hoo's Cooking series: