COVID-19 Travel Essentials
PLEASE NOTE: Testing for travel (RT-PCR or antigen) is NOT available at the Department of Student Health and Wellness.
- Saliva testing at UVA is a laboratory-processed PCR test and is acceptable for travel. Check BeSafe for testing times and days.
- BeSafe and testing in the community may be closed on weekends and around holidays. Don't wait until the last minute to get tested!
- Testing on Monday - Thursday is preferable to ensure results are back in time. Consider this when booking your tickets.
- UVA Be Safe saliva testing done on a Friday will likely not have results ready for travel by late Sunday or Monday.
- Avoid booking your tickets for a late Sunday or Monday departure.
- Here are some tips for providing an adequate sample that won't be rejected. Don't forget your University ID!
- Negative saliva test results will be released 24 hours a day when they are available; download your results from the HealthyHoos patient portal.
- Forms for COVID-19 tests will NOT be completed outside of business hours or over the weekend.
UVA Student Health and Wellness Travel Clinic Resources
- General Travel Recommendations
- Travel Recommendations for High Resource Destinations (Europe/Australia/NZ)
- Visiting Friends and Relatives Abroad
- Travelers' Diarrhea
- Packing List for Healthy Travel
- Mental Health and Travel
- Travel Insurance
- Insect Protection
- High Altitude Travel
- Water Disinfection
- Animal Risks While Abroad
- Scuba Diving Safety
- Marine Hazards
- Cold Temperature Travel
General Travel Resources about Health/Safety and Study Abroad
- CDC Travelers Health Website
- State Department: International Travel Warnings and Alerts
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): Travel Registration with Embassies
- Students Abroad: State Department Recommendations for U.S. Students Abroad
- UVA Education Abroad Office
Accessing Health Care Abroad
- The University of Virginia Policy on Student International Travel requires students who travel outside the U.S. for University-related purposes to enroll in the UVA international health and emergency assistance insurance plan through CISI. See here for more information.
- Traveling for university-related purposes may include but is not limited to study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, performances, recruiting, or athletic competitions. University-related purposes include any travel that is for academic credit and/or utilizes University resources.
- UVA requires all students who engage in travel abroad for university-related purposes to register with the International Studies Office. Registration instructions are available here.
- Signing up for a Student Health and Wellness Travel Clinic appointment is NOT the same as registering your travel with the International Studies Office.
UVA Aetna Student Health Insurance for Travel
- Students may use the UVA Aetna Student Health Plan outside the U.S.
- For more information, visit UVA Aetna Student Health Travel Assistance
- To reach On Call International any time, visit aetnastudenthealth.com or call 1-866-525-1956 (U.S. or Canada) or 1-603-328-1956 (collect — anywhere)
Air Pollution Abroad
- WHO Data on ambient air pollution: interactive maps at country and city level for ambient air pollution
- AirVisual: explore the air aquality around the world
- ILGA: under resources contains maps about sexual orientation laws and other resources
- Equaldex: a collaborative LGBTQ+ knowledge base
- LGBTQ+ Travel Information from the State Department
- For additional information on the state department website, find the country you plan on visiting under Country Information and then go to “Local Laws and Special Circumstances” for specific LGBTQ+ information.
Food Allergies Abroad
- Travel Tips for Food Allergies Abroad: get information about medications and food labeling practices in select countries
- Multilingual App for Food Allergies
- Printed translation cards for food and drug allergies, special diets and medical needs
- Chef Cards from FARE (Food Allergy Research and Education)
- Traveling with Asthma and Allergies