3/18/2023- Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) will be open from 12pm to 3pm today for drop-in sessions. Please bring your student ID to swipe into the building.
UVA Student Health and Wellness (SHW) recognizes the impact of tragedy on UVA students and the community, and we are working to support the health and well-being of our community. Below is a list of supportive resources that may be helpful in processing and coping with grief and other emotions at this time.
Ongoing Resources for Students
Let's Talk: Drop in Session with CAPS
- “Let’s Talk” provides an opportunity for students to speak with a CAPS therapist for around 15 minutes about non-emergency concerns in a confidential space.
- Tuesdays from 1pm - 2:30pm with Nicolo Porto, LCSW on Zoom
- For more information and to join visit our Let's Talk page here.
Black Student Support Circle
This is a weekly support space for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students who identify as Black, African American, or African. This support space provides a safe and affirming opportunity to make connections, give and receive support, and engage in open dialogue about lived experiences at a PWI. We will discuss topics including but not limited to: academic stress, relationships, socio-political climate, community, racial in/justice, resilience and belongingness.
- Facilitator: Nicholas Wright, LPC, LSATP
- Tuesdays from 11am-12pm on Zoom
- For more information and to join visit our CAPS Group page here
Grief and loss are a part of life, but it can be difficult to know how to navigate the intense feelings that can come with it. This group is an opportunity for students who have experienced a death to process their feelings of loss and explore the grief process in a safe and supportive atmosphere. This group allows members to identify their emotional needs, offer and receive support, and consider different steps to take toward healing.
- Group leader: Molly Peck, LPC
- Mondays, 3:00 - 4:15 pm EST
- To join, call CAPS at (434) 243-5150 to schedule an initial phone assessment.
Counseling and Psychological Services
- 24/7 on-call crisis help
- 1:1 appointments
- support group counseling
- embedded counselors
- 24/7 on-demand access to TalkNow
- 1:1 telehealth counseling, speak with a counselor by video or phone
In The Company of My Sisters (ITCOMS)
This is a weekly support space for Black, African American, or African female identifying students. This support space provides a safe environment to form community, mutual support and share experiences with fellow women of color. Topics vary weekly, including: academic stressors, on grounds and community events and topics concerning women of color at a PWI.
- Facilitator: Lavender Williams, MS
- Wednesdays, 12:00-1:00pm
- Location: Dawson’s Row #2
More Resources at Student Health
External Resources for Everyone
For Student Health and Wellness media inquires visit our media page.
If you are interested in sending expressions of sympathy to families of the victims or if you have questions about contributing financially, please contact Nicole Thomas, Student Affairs Development, at [email protected].