Search This Site


Medical Withdrawal and Reenrollment

If you have received a medical withdrawal for psychiatric reasons and if your school requires that you provide documentation to show you have taken the necessary steps to reenroll through CAPS, review the following:

  1. Letter to Student - Provides an overview of the process for reenrollment.
  2. Letter to Mental Health Provider - Provides explanation of the documentation needed by CAPS in order to make a recommendation to your academic dean and the Dean of Students. The letter must be provided to the mental health professional(s) that you saw for treatment during your medical withdrawal.
  3. Form to be Completed by Student's Physician or Mental Health Provider - This form must be completed and returned to CAPS. CAPS clinicians will review the documentation and forward a recommendation to your academic dean and the Dean of Students. If the documentation from your treating provider is inadequate, or if your dean has specifically requested an in-person reenrollment assessment, then you may need to make an appointment at CAPS for this purpose.
  4. Student Reenrollment Information Update and Consent for Communication - This document must be completed and returned to CAPS. It provides CAPS with your current contact information in the event that a CAPS professional needs to speak with you about your request for reenrollment. It also provides CAPS with permission to convey recommendations to your deans regarding reenrollment. This form should be completed and returned to CAPS at the time reenrollment is being requested.  It is recommended you complete the above documentation at least 6 weeks prior to the date which you plan to return to UVa for classes. Once submitted, please allow up to 10 business days for review of your documentation. Your medical reenrollment clearance cannot be assigned to a CAPS clinician for review until all of the above documentation has been received.
  5. You must also contact the school in which you are enrolled (Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Engineering, etc) and/or the Dean of Students Office in order to determine what forms and processes and deadlines are required by the Dean of Students or the office of your academic dean.

There are instances where you may be required to do an in-person assessment at CAPS, for example if you have not received any treatment while taking a medical withdrawal. Once full documentation has been received, the information will be reviewed and you will be notified as to whether CAPS can recommend a return to enrollment.