550 Brandon Ave
While most of the SHW public areas are available for drop-in, the Department of Student Health and Wellness (SHW) is pleased to offer some reservable spaces for events and programming that are in alignment with our vision of enhancing the well-being and health of our university community. Visit our space reservations website to learn more about reserving space at SHW.
The Student Health and Wellness building is located on 550 Brandon Ave, right down the road from the old Elson Student Health Center. Our building is also home to a UVA Health satellite Pharmacy and Laboratory, the Gordie Center, UVA Kinesiology, the Student Health Office of Research Excellence (SHORE), and the SHW Radiology office.
Walking or Biking
- Estimated Walking Times:
- From the Rotunda: ~ 13 minutes
- From OHill Dining Hall: ~ 18 minutes
- From University Ave/Madison Bowl: ~ 16 minutes
- From Gooch/Dillard, ~ 20 minutes.
- Bike parking is available in the sidewalk space between 428 Brandon Ave (apartment complex) and 550 Brandon Ave.
The SHW parking garage is underground with entrances on Monroe Lane, which runs parallel to Brandon Ave. You can turn onto Monroe Lane from Jefferson Park Avenue, or you can continue straight on Brandon Ave and turn onto Monroe Lane where Brandon Ave u-turns in front of Bond House.
- Please do NOT park in the Monroe apartments' parking garage. This parking garage is reserved for Monroe residents only and towing is strictly enforced.
- P1 parking is for students with appointments and registered visitors only. P2 parking is for staff/faculty with B3 permits only.
- Once you park in P1, you will need to register your car via your license plate number. There are signs in the elevators with QR codes you can scan and use to register, or you can visit parking.virginia.edu/shwc.
Taking the Bus
The University Transit Service (UTS) is a fare-free transit service committed to providing safe, reliable, efficient, and friendly transit service to University of Virginia students, faculty, and staff. UTS buses regularly drive by Brandon Ave, the closest SHW bus stop.
- Take the blueline, orange line, or redline bus. Your stop is Jefferson Park Ave @ Brandon Ave.
- For real-time bus tracking, download the TransLoc Rider app or use TransLoc online to find the nearest bus stop, track your bus in real-time, see arrival time estimates, and receive service impact notifications.