3/18/2023- Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) will be open from 12pm to 3pm today for drop-in sessions. Please bring your student ID to swipe into the building.
All UVA students, both domestic and international, charged the full comprehensive fees with their tuition must meet the health insurance verification requirements. A student's health insurance must be considered comparable coverage to the Aetna Student Health Plan in order to be accepted under these requirements.
What is comparable coverage for an international student?
In order to be considered comparable coverage, a student’s health insurance plan must meet the following seven specific requirements for 2022-2023:
- The plan provides in-patient care and outpatient care coverage (including visits for behavioral health) within a 75-mile radius of the Charlottesville area. Coverage for emergency-only care (out of state medicaid) does NOT satisfy this requirement.
- The plan provides unlimited medical benefits per sickness or injury. Insurance that fails to cover or limits coverage for pre-existing conditions is NOT acceptable.
- The plan is provided by a company licensed to do business in the U.S. with (a) a U.S. claims office, (b) a U.S. phone number, (c) plan literature available in English, and (d) benefits provided in accordance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The following programs do NOT qualify as comparable coverage: Travel insurance & Reimbursement programs of any kind.
- The plan provides in-patient treatment and outpatient treatment coverage for substance abuse (both alcohol and drug abuse) within a 75-mile radius of the Charlottesville area. Coverage for emergency-only care (out of state medicaid) does not satisfy this requirement.
- My coverage will remain in effect for all semesters in which I am enrolled for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The plan provides a minimum of $10,000 in coverage for repatriation/evacuation to a student's home country or return of mortal remains.
- I will be held financially responsible for payment of all charges not covered by my health insurance plan.