Updated April 6, 2020: In these uncertain times, ensuring your basic needs are met is vital to your health and well-being.
Collegiate Recovery Program
ADAPT (Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team)
The Gordie Center
American Heart Association
American Institute for Cancer Research
CDC Chronic Disease Prevention
Food and Nutrition Service
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Go Ask Alice!
UVA Coalition on Eating Disorders and Exercise Concerns - Has an active interest in the education and prevention of eating disorders; great local resource.
About-Face! - A grassroots organization that challenges the media's influence on body image and negative impact.
Something Fishy Website on Eating Disorders
National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance - Find out when National No Diet Day is!
BodyPositive - Looks at ways we can feel good in the bodies we have. Remember, your body hears everything you think.
Book resources on body image:
- When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair, Geneen Roth, Hyperion Press, 1998. 50 ways to feel thin, gorgeous, and happy.
- Feeding the Body, Nourishing the Soul: Essentials for Eating for Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Well-Being, Deborah Kesten, Herbert Benson, 1997.
- Succulent Wild Women: Dancing with Your Wonder Full Self, Sark, 1997.
- Love Your Looks, Carolyn Hillman, Simon & Schuster, 1996. How to stop criticizing and start appreciating your appearance.
- Eating in the Light of the Moon, Anita Johnston, Birch Lane Press, 1996. How women can let go of compulsive eating through metaphor and storytelling.
- Transforming Body Image, Marcia Germaine Hutchinson, Crossing Press, 1985. Learn to love the body you have.
Web MD - Healthy Men
Health Q&A Web Site - Go Ask Alice!
Sexuality, Birth Control
Coalition for Positive Sexuality
The American Social Health Association
Bedsider - an online birth control support network for women 18-29 operated by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a private non-profit organization. Their goal is to help women find the method of birth control that’s right for them and learn how to use it consistently and effectively.
Student Sex Life - An educational resource for college students about sex and healthy relationships.
First gynecology visit: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Birth control options:
University of Virginia Women's Center
University of Virginia and Charlottesville Area Resources for Health and Wellness
Office of African American Affairs
Office of the Dean of Students
The International Center
Peer Health Educators Program
Services for Students with Disabilities
EDEC - about eating disorders, body image and disordered eating
We Are Virginia Veterans - established in 2008 in response to the growing need to improve and expand services to our nation’s veterans and their family members whose lives have been touched by stress-related injuries or traumatic brain injury.
All area codes are 434 unless noted.
|Student Health - Confidential Testing
|AIDS/HIV Services Group
|Charlottesville Health Department Anonymous Testing
|Virginia Department of Health AIDS Hotline
|National AIDS Hotline
|UVA Dining Services
|Awakening Your Relationship with Food
National Health Resource Links
American College Health Association
Mid-Atlantic College Health Association
Southern College Health Association