Given that we are in a pandemic, it is important to keep our bodies as healthy as possible! This includes being up-to-date on immunizations, like the influenza (flu) vaccine. Protecting yourself and others from the flu will reduce the strain on our health care systems as they work to address those needing care for COVID-19. The flu vaccine is the most effective means of preventing the flu!
Students can receive their flu vaccine from:
- One of the many places near Grounds offering vaccination services.
- UVA Health Satellite Pharmacy in the Student Health and Wellness building:
- Flu shots available by appointment only and can be scheduled via the HealthyHoos patient portal. Students should select "UVA Health Satellite Pharmacy: COVID and Flu Vaccines" for their clinic and "Pharmacy Flu Shot" for their appointment type when scheduling.
- Please bring insurance information (found on their prescription insurance card)! With insurance, the cost of the flu shot at the Pharmacy is usually $0. Without insurance, the cost of the flu shot is $20.
- The Pharmacy is on the first floor of the SHW building (550 Brandon Ave), directly to the left of the front doors upon entrance into the building.
- Wear a short sleeve shirt or layers that will be easily removed for vaccination. If you are feeling sick, stay home and choose a different day to get vaccinated.
- Medical Services, Student Health and Wellness:
- Flu shots available by appointment only and can be scheduled via the HealthyHoos patient portal. Students should select "Primary Care, Gynecology, Immunizations, Flu Shot" for their clinic and "Medical Services Flu Shot" for their appointment type when scheduling.
- Flu shots provided by SHW incur a $30 charge* which is placed on the student's bursar (SIS) account. SHW is considered out-of-network for insurance providers other than the Aetna Student Health plan. Students are responsible for submitting claims to their insurance for reimbursement, and may be able to go to in-network/participating pharmacies at a reduced cost.
- *Students who have Aetna Student Health insurance will be able to have their SHW flu shot charges filed directly to Aetna Student Health.
Please choose a site that is convenient and cost effective for you—just get your shot! Remember that it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies that protect against flu to develop in the body.
- A flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick from flu. A flu vaccination also may make your illness milder if you do get sick.
- A flu vaccination can help protect people who are at greater risk of getting seriously ill from the flu (like older adults), people with chronic health conditions, and young children (especially infants younger than six months old who are too young to get vaccinated). Protecting yourself from the flu also protects the people around you who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness.
- A flu vaccination can reduce the risk of more serious flu outcomes, like hospitalizations and serious complications. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others.
- Click here for more information on the flu vaccine from the CDC.
School of Nursing Students:
- Prelicensure students can obtain their flu shot by visiting their PCP or other options near Grounds, including Student Health and Wellness (call 434-924-5362 for an appointment).