Influenza (flu) vaccines (often called “flu shots”) are vaccines that protect against the four influenza viruses that research indicates most common during the upcoming season. The flu vaccine is the most effective means of preventing the flu! Learn more.
As of September 29, 2022 flu vaccines are available in the SHW Pharmacy and through SHW Medical Services.
Where To Get Your Flu Shot
Students can receive their flu vaccine from one of the many please near Grounds offering vaccination services, the UVA Health satellite Pharmacy in the Student Health and Wellness (SHW) building, or Medical Services at SHW.
Please choose a site that is convenient and cost effective for you—just get your shot! Remember that it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies that protect against flu to develop in the body.
Pharmacy in SHW
- Pharmacy flu shots available by appointment only and can be scheduled online when flu vaccines are available. Students should select "UVA Health Satellite Pharmacy: COVID and Flu Vaccines" for their clinic and "Pharmacy Flu Shot" for their appointment type when scheduling.
- Please bring insurance information (i.e., prescription insurance card). With insurance, the cost of the flu shot at the Pharmacy is usually $0. Without insurance, the cost of the flu shot is $20.
- The Pharmacy is located on the first floor of the SHW building, directly to the left of the front doors.
- Wear a short sleeve shirt or layers that will be easily removed for vaccination. If you are feeling sick, stay home and choose a different day to get vaccinated.
School of Nursing Students
- Prelicensure students can obtain their flu shot by visiting their PCP or other options near Grounds, including Student Health and Wellness (call 434-924-5362 for an appointment and note that you are a SON student.)
- Medical Services flu shots available by appointment only and can be scheduled online when flu vaccines are available. Students should select "Primary Care, Gynecology, Immunizations, Flu Shot" for their clinic and "Medical Services Flu Shot" for their appointment type when scheduling.
- Flu shots provided by Medical Services incur a $30 charge* which is placed on the student's bursar (SIS) account. SHW Medical Services is considered out-of-network for insurance providers other than the Aetna Student Health plan. Students are responsible for submitting claims to their insurance for reimbursement, and may be able to go to in-network/participating pharmacies at a reduced cost.
- *Students who have Aetna Student Health insurance will be able to have their SHW Medical Services flu shot charges filed directly to Aetna Student Health.
Good to Know
- A flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick from flu. A flu vaccination also may make your illness milder if you do get sick.
- A flu vaccination can help protect people who are at greater risk of getting seriously ill from the flu (like older adults), people with chronic health conditions, and young children (especially infants younger than six months old who are too young to get vaccinated). Protecting yourself from the flu also protects the people around you who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness.
- A flu vaccination can reduce the risk of more serious flu outcomes, like hospitalizations and serious complications. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others.