Given that we are in a pandemic, it is important to keep our bodies as healthy as possible! This includes being up-to-date on immunizations, like the influenza (flu) vaccine. Protecting yourself and others from the flu will reduce the strain on our health care systems as they work to address those needing care for COVID-19. The flu vaccine is the most effective means of preventing the flu!
Students can receive their flu vaccine from:
- Student Health and Wellness (schedule your flu shot online using your NetBadge ID to log into the HealthyHoos Patient Portal).
- One of the many places near Grounds offering vaccination services.
Please choose a site that is convenient and cost effective for you—just get your shot! Remember that it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies that protect against flu to develop in the body. Flu shots provided by SHW incur a $30 charge* which is placed on the student's bursar account. SHW is considered out-of-network for insurance providers other than the Aetna Student Health plan. Students with other insurance plans are responsible for submitting claims to their insurance, and may be able to go to in-network/participating pharmacies at a reduced cost.
*Students who have Aetna Student Health insurance will be able to have their flu shot charges filed directly to Aetna Student Health.
- A flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick from flu. A flu vaccination also may make your illness milder if you do get sick.
- A flu vaccination can help protect people who are at greater risk of getting seriously ill from the flu (like older adults), people with chronic health conditions, and young children (especially infants younger than six months old who are too young to get vaccinated). Protecting yourself from the flu also protects the people around you who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness.
- A flu vaccination can reduce the risk of more serious flu outcomes, like hospitalizations and serious complications. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others.
- Click here for more information on the flu vaccine from the CDC.
Traditionally, Student Health and Wellness has hosted an annual Flu Shot Clinic during the fall semester, but this service will not be available this year. Please visit another vaccination site or call Student Health and Wellness to schedule your flu shot this year!
School of Nursing Students:
- Prelicensure students can obtain their flu shot by visiting their PCP or other options near Grounds, including Student Health and Wellness (call 434-924-5362 for an appointment).