All students are eligible for emergency assessments and/or consultation.
- For life-threatening emergencies: Call 911 from on or off Grounds. The UVA Health Emergency Room is located at 1215 Lee St, Charlottesville, VA 22908.
- For a digital copy or printed copy of this page's information:
24/7 TalkNow via Phone or Video
TalkNow through TimelyCare allows you to virtually meet with an urgent care counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the TimelyCare web or mobile app platform. You will be connected to the counselor in a matter of minutes. Follow these easy steps to get connected:
- Go to timelycare.com/uva. Download the TimelyCare app or use their web-based platform.
- Use your @virginia.edu student email address to sign up.
- Click “Get Care.”
- Click "TalkNow" and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Experiencing connection or technical difficulties? Call (833) 484-6359 (monitored 24/7.)
Weekdays, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Students may walk in to CAPS to meet with the counselor on-call every Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. A CAPS on-call counselor is also available for emergency consultation by phone every Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
For an emergency walk-in consultation:
- CAPS is located on the fourth floor of the Student Health and Wellness building at 550 Brandon Ave.
- The SHW building is accessible by foot, bus, bike, and car. Patient parking is available.
To connect with the on-call counselor by phone:
- Call CAPS at (434) 243-5150
- Ask to speak with the counselor on-call.
Faculty, staff, parents, or community members concerned about a student who needs immediate attention can call:
- The Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) Dean On-Call for non-clinical crisis support:
- During business hours (M-F, 8-5): (434) 924-7133
- After-hours + weekends, emergencies and urgent concerns: (434) 924-7166
- CAPS On-Call for confidential, clinical support: (434) 243-5150
- Sexual Assault Resource Agency (SARA): (434) 977-7273
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1 (800) 784-2433 or 1 (800) 273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741. Students of Color can text STEVE to 741741.
- Trevor Lifeline (LGBTQ): (866) 488-7386 or text “trevor” to 202-304-1200 (7 Days/Week, 3pm–10pm EST).
- Region Ten Emergency Services: (434) 972-1800